It’s officially comfort food weather and this hearty Beef & Vegetable Stew from West Side Beef, made with our ECO Red, is just what needs to get in your belly for your #SaturdaySupper.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 lb Westside stewing beef , cut into cubes
salt and pepper
1 onion , chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
3 garlic , minced
2 celery , chopped
3 carrots , chopped
4 tbsp cornstarch
2 1/2 cups West Side Beef stock
1 1/2 cups Pelee Island ECO Red
1.5 cups water
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 tsp thyme dried
1 large leek, chopped
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil, meanwhile, pat beef dry with paper towels, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Brown beef aggressively in 2 or 3 batches, adding more oil if needed. Remove browned beef into a bowl. If pot looks dry, add a touch more oil.
3. Add garlic and onion, cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add carrot, mushrooms and celery, cook for 2 minutes or until onion is translucent.
5. Stir in flour, then slowly pour in beef broth while constantly stirring.
6. Add wine, water, tomato paste, bay leaves and thyme, stir well. Then add the beef back in.
7. Cover, adjust heat to medium low so it’s bubbling gently. Simmer 1 hr 30 min (trust us it’s worth it!).
8. Add leeks, simmer for a further 20 minutes without the lid. Add cooked mushrooms in the last 5 mins.
ABOUT WEST SIDE BEEF
West Side Beef is a local meat company.It’s pretty simple really. We buy the best antibiotic free, local meat we can find, directly from the farmer that raised it and ship it directly to you, like we said, simple.