One of the most common questions we get asked is how to match certain wines with certain foods. Ultimately, there are no steadfast rules. However, if you take your favourite Pelee Island wine and pair it with your favourite meal it's sure to be a great evening.
Here are a few suggestions to help you with your pairings:
- Decide whether you are complementing or contrasting your wine with your meal. If you've prepared a rich and creamy lobster dinner with butter and salt, complement it with our oak-aged premium select Chardonnay. Chardonnay will add additional buttery and vanilla flavours to the palette. If you want to contrast the lobster, try our un-oak-aged Chardonnay with racy acidity to cut the intense creamy flavours. It will cleanse your palette with every sip.
- With delicate white meats like fish, choose a delicate white wine (our Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc). With salmon or grilled tuna, consider moving to more intense white wines like our oak-aged Chardonnay or light red wines like our Gamay Noir Zweigelt or Pinot Noir.
- Red meats are classically paired with red wine. Though it's not a rule, it's a solid suggestion.
The proteins in red meat pair well with tannins found in most red wines. If a sauce is accompanying
the meat, consider what affect it will have on the meal before deciding which wine to select, as the sauce will likely be the dominant flavour.
- Barbequing red meat adds additional flavour, so consider selecting a wine that can stand up to and match the intensity of the meal. Baco Noir or Cabernet Sauvignon/Cabernet Franc are always great choices here.
- Spicy food is often difficult to match, but consider this: high natural acidity in wine can make a spicy dish explosive on the taste buds. Therefore, aim for a wine that has low acidity, like our Gewurztraminer. Also, wines with higher residual sugar can lessen the impact of certain spices. Our Gewurztraminer, off-dry Riesling and Pinot Gris are all excellent choices.
If you are still unsure, you can contact us at 519-733-6551 to get answers to any of your questions. We look forward to hearing from you.